Sunday, February 21, 2010

Defending the suburbs

   I have never come to appreciate my hometown of Arlington Heights more than I have after living in the city. Don’t get me wrong, Chicago is great, full of culture and diversity, art and music, and of course, the shopping, but when I feel overwhelmed, I can take a 40 minute train ride home and find peace and quiet. I can find nature and clear night skies filled with stars. Many of my high schools friends have moved on from suburbia and find it boring when they return, but I am a firm believer that there is no place like home.

            Many times, I have thought, “I gotta get out of the suburbs”, but despite that occasional attitude, it’s my favorite place to return to. Arlington Heights is where my family is. It’s home to most of my fondest memories. Granted, there are many things missing, the mall that I hung out with friends at is gone, best friends have moved away, and apartment complex’s have replaced other favorite spots, but my house will always be there. You can find many beautiful spots including lakes and forest preserves filled with deer and other wild life.

            One of my favorite places to go is Woodfield mall. It’s one of the largest malls in the Midwest and people come from far away just to shop there. There is a great deal of amazing restaurants near by including a delicious Brazilian steakhouse and Shaw’s Crabhouse. I love to go there and just walk around the mall and window shop. I feel content just driving around neighborhoods on nice days listening to music in my car.

            Arlington Heights is the place I rely on when I am feeling the pressure of life. I will forever hold a place in my heart for the suburbs no matter where life takes me, because it is my home. 

0 comments: