Monday, February 22, 2010

Aby's analysis.... oh boy!!

Aby Gutierrez

3 art work analysis


Claude Monet

Arrival of the Normandy train

1877

Arrival of the Normandy train by Claude Monet is an excellent piece of artwork. It is an oil painting that was created in 1877. Monet used cool and neutral colors to depict a train arriving in a station hence the name “Arrival of the Normandy Train.” What really grabs me about this painting though, is the way the colors blend together. The cool colors give the painting a clam feeling, which relaxes the viewer’s eyes. The picture also shows a group of people waiting for the trains’ arrival. This means the train was important and a lot of people probably depended on it. This train may have brought peoples relatives in or out, or it could have taken people to and from work, or it could have also carried goods that the town needed. Whatever the reason, I think that Claude realizes the importance of the train. I also believe that he uses cool color because of the suddleness of it. Monet might realize something that many people take for granted, and I think he captures that very well in this picture. I really like this painting because I believe some of the most important things in life are small and suddle but we still take them for granted sometimes.

Barnett Newman

Title N/A

1905-1970

Barnett Newman is a very well known American abstract artist. His work is very well done and really grabbed me. One of his pieces that really caught my eye in the art institute was a painting. The painting consisted of a background that was different shades of teal, with 3 strips making there way through the canvas. One strip was brown, one orange, and another white which all stood out nicely against the teal. Since the painting is abstract it can be taken many different ways. But I think the colors actually set the tone. There's a little bit of everything in this picture. The base is a cool color, brown and white are neutral, and orange is a warm color. The cool and neutral colors make the painting really easy on the eyes and the orange really sticks out. But what I really like the most about the painting is its simplicity. The painting is basic. There is not a certain skill or reason that made this art what it was, it was just simple and seemed very basic, but that was my favorite part. I think I liked this painting because it could relate to all the simple people. And although it didn’t look like much, it was my favorite piece in the institute.

Judith Turner

Framing the Modern

Year N/A

Framing the modern is a display of multiple photos taken by Judith Turner of buildings and architecture. The element of the pictures that drew me in was my interest architecture. Before coming to Columbia I was an Ironworker so I like to try and figure out how things are made. As I started to look deeper into the pictures I started to let my mind wander and tired to find the meaning of these photos. All of the pictures were printed in black and white. And most of them were of key supports of buildings. This made me think that maybe the artist was trying to portray strength. By putting the pictures in black and white turner took these everyday objects and put them in what seemed to be a whole different setting. She made the structure real, and showed a side of them that people don’t usually see. I believe that she captures the raw strength of the structures, and show the true strength of them with out even saying one word.

0 comments: