Friday, February 12, 2010

Fuzzy's

Defending Fuzzys

By Casey Clougherty


There are 1500 liquor license in Atlanta proper. For every music club that goes under a sports bar or chain bar goes up because they're the only ones who can afford the corrupt prices of these coveted pieces of paper. This came about indirectly from Georgia's blue (religious) laws restricting how many bars there are. Unfortunately the laws backfired and turned a once golden land of talent and opportunity into a wasteland of sports and trivia. I would defend Fuzzy's Place, a bar that I frequented and played at most eve week. This was the first bar I went to when I moved to Atlanta and I had to wait over a year before I got a chance to play there. I love the pink cadillac behind the stage, the sign above it (so only the musicians could see) that said "No Stairway No Sissy Strut!" I love the audience that is dramatically different from week to week, the free popcorn and the hole in the wall I used to shove my guitar into at the end of the set. Right before I left Atlanta my band 'Godzilla Does Dallas" played there every other week and those are some of the best gigs I had in Atlanta. It was so amazing to see all the famous people and friends' pictures on the walls and to see my bands name on the marque over one of my hero's, Atlanta legend Barry Richmond. They treated me like family from the first time I set foot in there and that's why I would defend Fuzzy's. That and the jambalaya it's amazing.

0 comments: